Monday 14 May 2012

Butterflies

An activity we have meant to do, but only got around to this year is 'hatching' butterflies. It was incredibly easy. Caterpillars arrived in a little pot and had to be left in the post (our of direct sunlight) until the chrysalis stage, then tranferred to net 'observatory'.

Great excitement when the butterflies emerged :-) They are Painted Ladies......beautiful!

We used a National Trust kit but I actually picked it up in Sainsburys. Says Age 7+ on the box, but much younger children would enjoy watching the butterflies too. If the sun comes out today we'll release ours into the garden.

Next week (19-27 May) is 'Save our Butterflies Week'. Half price membership of Buttefly Conservation until the end of May

http://butterfly-conservation.org/






2 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea! I want to hatch a butterfly too! Very impressed with how easily you found my blog. I must leak info when I'm in my cups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a brainwave and clicked on 'bramblejam' which took me straight there :-)

      Delete